Alloy 600, UNSN06600
Alloy 600 has a face-centered cubic structure and is a stable, austenitic solid-solution alloy.
A good corrosion resistance to the media of reducing, oxidation and nitridation;
Virtual immunity to chloride-ion stress-corrosion cracking even at elevated temperatures;
Very good resistance ti high-temperature corrosion in drychlorine and hydrogen chloride.
The composition of Alloy 600 enables it to resist a variety of corrosives. The chromium content of the alloy makes it superior to commercially pure nickel under oxidizing condition, and its high nickel content enables it to retain considerable resistance under reducing condition. The nickel content also provides excellent resistance to alkaline solutions.
The alloy has fair resistance to strongly oxidizing acid solution. However, the oxidizing effect of dissolved air alone is not sufficient to insure complete passivity and freedom from attack by air-saturated mineral acids and certain concentrated organic acids.
1. Pressurised-water-reactor steam-generator tube;
2. Heat exchangers for sodium hydroxide;
3. Component used in the manufacture of photographic materials and film processing;
4. Oxychlorinator internals in vinyl chloride production;
5. Strip for flight recorders.